Pages

Thursday, February 11, 2010

lost in translation

The other day one of my facebook friends responded to one of my posts. I don’t remember exactly what my post said but it’s usually something that my kids have done that was amusing, or that others may find amusing because it’s happening to me and not them. I usually find the humor eventually. I write it to vent frustration and then I read it for a laugh.

Her response was “awww, your posts always make me want another baby.” I was very surprised to think that my love for this motherhood thing was still somehow apparent through all of my venting/ranting; that my love for my children is not overshadowed by how crazy they make me at times.

Things are often getting lost in translation in my world. It’s inevitable when you’re communicating with children all day. Logic takes on a whole new meaning in their world. It still exists but on an entirely different level and one that is actually tricky to argue with sometimes.

I once told my mom that I had this “mom” thing all figured out (before I actually had kids, of course). My daughter is only six and I’m already stumped. The other night I attempted a very positive and upbeat lecture on how we both had responsibilities and one of my responsibilities is to teach her to be responsible, to be the best person she can be. It was my attempt to convince both of us (more so myself) that I am not a nag! I’m a mommy.

“You have to learn to do things for yourself so that you don’t always need your mommy to do EVERYTHING for you ALL the time. Wouldn’t it be funny if someone who was a grown up still had their mommy cooking for them and getting them dressed in the morning?”

“MOMMY! That means that you want me to die because you’re NEVER going to cook for me again and you want me to STARVE!”

How did we go from asking her to put her dirty clothes in her hamper to me wanting her to die? And how does one respond to this logic?

I find myself being equally as unreasonable sometimes;

“Madeline could you please pick up these books and put them back on the shelf.”

“No.”

“DON’T MISTAKE MY ASKING YOU TO DO SO AS A QUESTION! I’M NOT ASKING YOU, I’M TELLING YOU!”

I also vowed (pre-motherhood again, of course), that I would NEVER say “because I said so” to my kids. I always found it half-ass and infuriating when my mother “said so”. I have only said it once and Darren called me on it immediately (I forgot that I vowed it in front of him once). But it is ALWAYS on the tip of my tongue. And to be honest, I now understand its validity. Sometimes, it is a perfectly acceptable response to the 3 millionth “WHYYYYYY MOMMMY” of the day. I’m mean, by the end of the day of a stay at home mom, the mind and body just do not have the explanation and energy left to hold a conversation with anyone under the age of 30, never mind trying to reason with a two year old.

And it’s not like they don’t pull it on me;

“Leo, why do you NEED to put your jammies back on for nap time?”

“BECAUSE I DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!”

Yes, they are evil little geniuses whose mission it sometimes appears, is to test my patience, something I had always prided myself on (before I had kids, of course). And I love them dearly and with all my heart, obviously.

4 comments:

  1. Wis...I think that this is wonderful..not only for you for "venting" purposes, but for your children and other family members who will be able to look back on these posting in years to come. It is not only enlightening, but refreshing. Reading your blogs makes me put my life and my love for those around me into perspective..to be more patient & kind and to be more understanding, as well as just a better person in general, regardless of whether or not Kevin & I choose to have children.
    I hope you continue doing this, and hope that you keep track of all of these blogs in some way other then just on this site (maybe a big binder, as my sister does with her journal for the boys). God forbid something ever happened in this "computerized world" we all live in now and it was all lost and all done for naught.
    You truly are blessed for the life that you have and something, someone is definately watching out and shining down on you...you are a very special person. I'm sure your moom & other family and friends are very proud of you.
    Keep the blogs coming..they are bright spot in what sometimes can be very dark days for some of us...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you MOM...& other family members...I didn't spell check...damn it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin Higgins (Lezette)February 11, 2010 at 1:01 PM

    Kristin I love your blog!! I have had the same thoughts you have over and over. Thanks for sharing and know that I understand from one stay at home mom ( WHO NOW WATCHES 2 6MONTH OLD TWIN GIRLS, AND 2 THREE YR OLD BOYS EVERY DAY PLUS HAVE MY OWN TO DEAL WITH !)to another!! You are an awesome mom and an inspirational writer. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. April Weiss (Jenner)February 11, 2010 at 4:35 PM

    I really enjoy reading your blog Kristin. Its so nice to read about the same thoughts and expericences that we all go through as parents. It's so funny how putting it all down in writing makes it all so amusing, when the experiences themselves can be so serious and frustrating. I take my job raising my kids very seriously, like I can see you do. The most important thing you can do is raise responsible, caring, compasionate kids. I only wish everyone took the job so seriously. The world just might be a better place :-)

    ReplyDelete