Pages

Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Milestone: Our first broken heart...

“I was always worried about his feelings and ignoring my own. I apologized when it wasn’t my  fault. I allowed myself to tolerate it when he stopped showing me the kind of affection I wanted. I think I lost myself a little.”  

She sure did.  My daughter fell hard in love.  She held out for the real deal and she went all in for the very first time, and it was big.  It changed her.  She wore a giant smile and exuded a radiant happiness.  Love.  She had discovered love. She was in love.   His happiness meant everything to her, and it can be very easy to lose yourself to that.  

It was a great first love, one that appeared worthy of my girl.  He often recognized and gushed over all of the beautiful things about her, inside and out.  They wore matching giant smiles.  It was genuine and unabashed and I admired it.  It reminded me that love is beautiful and happy and well worth the risks, and quite honestly, it healed that last seemingly loveless piece of my broken heart.  It made me wholehearted again.  And then it shattered my baby’s heart.  

I was lucky to be wholehearted again, and to have healed my own shattered heart just in time to have the strength and wisdom to help her put her’s back together.  I will never forget the tears and despair and pain and confusion in her eyes as she sat across from me, blindsided, trying to make sense of it all.  I remember her asking me questions that she knew I couldn’t possibly have the answers to, even after 43 years of dealing with boys and love and heartache.  She was in so much pain that she was pleading with the one person that she often seems to think doesn’t know anything, for any answer that would make it hurt a little less.  How could love feel so good and then so very bad?  And with all of my newly healed heart, I felt my own first devastated broken heart all over again.  And while we both knew I didn’t have any answers for how someone who loved her could rip our heart out,  I had the experience and wisdom and scars to know that we were both going to survive this, and persevere.

My girl is, by nature (and nurture), strong and not easily rattled.  She is calm, cool and collected.   So as I watched her wallow and sink into sadness, rattled as hell, it shook me to my core.  I cried many, many tears at the very thought of my girl’s tears and the shared sympathetic pain that inevitably comes from being forever connected to my babies by the heart strings.  I knew what she was carrying was very heavy and nothing I could do could ease that.   I knew that to her, it felt eternally hopeless and painful and insurmountable.  But I knew better.  I knew that not only would she heal and love again, but she will also have her heart broken again...and again and again. 

In true Madeline form, she’s bounced back nicely, seemingly well aware that it’s his loss.  If we are very lucky, we learn some very important lessons from our first gut wrenching broken heart, and each one that will inevitably follow. Listening to my 15 year old reflect on her first love and loss with wisdom beyond her years and  resilience and sincere honesty and genuine introspection, and when all is said and done, no regrets, gives me great comfort and hope that she will one day, even before her time, be nearly unbreakable.  

I like to think that my children were all Inherently born with all of the lessons that I already learned for them the hard way, but love and loss is one of those things we all have to live and learn.  


No comments:

Post a Comment